President-elect Donald Trump’s first cabinet appointment, Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) for U.S. Attorney General, is a foundational member of Mr. Trump’s cadre of climate change deniers, civil rights opponents and antagonists of immigrants and the LGBTQ community.
While most are focusing on Sessions record with respect to civil/human rights, it’s important to note the Sessions has a dismal record on the environment and has been an ardent climate denier. It is untenable that he could be trusted to serve as the chief law enforcement officer for the nation’s bedrock environmental laws and civil rights.
Sessions’ reprehensible civil rights record and extreme views on climate and the environment include:
- Opposing nearly every piece of global warming and environmental legislation since 1997
- Supporting a resolution to roll back protections from toxic mercury—protections the Environmental Protection Agency estimates prevent 11,000 deaths a year
- Defunding renewable and solar energy development while renewing oil and gas exploration subsidies
- Calling the Voting Rights Act “a piece of intrusive legislation” and prosecuting three civil rights workers in a baseless and malicious attempt to suppress the black vote
- Defending the idea of banning Muslims from entering the United States
- Supporting the construction of a 2,000-mile border fence or wall along the U.S. border with Mexico
- Opposing same-sex marriage
To protect our environment, we must ensure that people feel safe in speaking out in its defense. A strong commitment to human rights is a core principle in the protection of our planet.
We can’t afford to be silent now. Stand in solidarity with national and global movements for civil rights and social justice.
To be confirmed, Sessions must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate. If Democrats vote as a block, that’s 48 votes against. That means we need 3 Republican votes against. This is our chance to prevent him from stepping into this role. Please take a moment from your busy day to contact Senator Dean Heller as well as Senator Catherine Cortez Masto to express your opposition to the confirmation of Sen. Jeff Sessions as our nation’s next U.S. Attorney General.
Senator Catherine Cortez Masto … (202) 224-3542
Senator Dean Heller …………………. (202) 224-6244